Thursday, January 31, 2008

il Carnevale a Venezia

Ciao!

So get this--last weekend I went to Venice. In other words, dreams of frolicking the narrow cobblestone alleys near Marco Polo's Villa and gazing up at "The Bridge of Sighs" while afloat in a gondola (equipped with a gorgeous singing Italian Stallion, might I add) became a reality. I even saw ‘Casanova's Casa’ (house), 23 bedrooms and all. Even better yet, “Il Carnevale”, a huge Venetian Festival resembling the American tradition of Mardis Gras, is taking place at this time of year.

While I forgot my velvet Venetian costume at home by mistake, I did partake in some of the traditional ornamental activities, getting my face painted and keeping some paper confetti handy at all times.

Naturally, the weekend flew by in a blaze of great food, many laughs, extraordinary sights and (duh) vino. I dare to say that the hangover of this weekend still lingers graciously, evident in the remnants of confetti and glitter still adorning my boots and scalp.

Cliché, but true, it wouldn't be an excursion to Venice without some romance. My love affair with Italy, my new favorite "paese" (country), crowned the trip. I kept it on my arm the entire time.

This weekend I am off to Verona, land of Romeo and Juliet. Look for updates soon!

-K

No comments: